Loading Map...

Day 12-16: Noosa

Written on: Friday April 1st, 2011

A journal entry from: Down Under Surf Safari

After a big pancake and bacon breakfast we had the truck and trailer all packed up and headed to the Sunshine Coast. Our first stop was Alexandria Headlands where we surfed some big fat waves (large waves with a less steep ramp). This was one of my best sessions and was one of the places Simms used to hit regularly when he was previously living in Australia. The original 'surfing granny' was there; she was catching every wave while Simms was just learning to surf. During a blast rain shower we had a coffee and some amazing blueberry cinnamon rolls. Then we headed further north, checking out the cable park for wakeboarding on the way.

Saturday brought a 5 am wake up surf and then after coffee a run out to Hell's Gate in Noosa National Park. We grabbed a Thai lunch and surfed Noosa again in the afternoon in the company of Natalie Turner, also a former Geostudies student who was on my 2005 Costa Rica trip. We had a chance to catch up and after a big family dinner she had to go back to the Sunshine Coast where she is in teacher's college.

Sunday morning we hit the Noosa Spit and had an amazing surf session. We stayed out for 2+ hrs with everyone catching many waves and long rides. After a relaxing coffee we went to check out surf shops between Noosa and Coolum. It rained on and off most of the day and we went out (almost reluctantly) for an evening surf. The clouds broke and brought another amazing sunset. Smiles all around - another great moment shared with family and friends.

Monday was an early wake up to low surf. After trying Tea Tree (in the NP) and the spit we decided on a longer run on the Tangle and Coast Trails in the NP. Afterward we went for a beer and nachos at the surf club and Joel and I discovered that all the cash in our wallets had been cleared out. Mystery: no signs of forced entry to the vehicle and nothing else stolen including GoPro camera, Curtis' Nikon, video camera, credit cards, etc. No matter though, could have been much much worse. Had a mellow night at the apartments.

Tuesday was departure day from Noosa and after checking the morning surf we decided to pack up and go further down the coast. We arrived in Maroochydore and had a great 30th session. This had been our target and now we'd managed 30 sessions nearly every day except the Sunday we climbed Mt. Warning and the first day we arrived on the train from Brisbane. Success. We grabbed some more coffee and buns before being dropped off at the airport in Brisbane for our flight up to Cairns (see next blog).