Loading Map...

Leg 4 [Gros Morne, Labrador, L'Anse aux Meadows]

Written on: Monday July 16th, 2007

A journal entry from: Newfoundland 2007

Ben Jammin' came from St. John's for a few days and joined Keith, Sachi and I on our last big road trip. He was a perfect addition to the trips as it gave us a zoologist, botanist, geologist and geographer/anthropologist (sort of). Itinerary: Gros Morne to Labrador via St. Barbe ferry to L'Anse aux Meadows and back to Corner Brook in 4 days/3 nights.

Day 1: We left Corner Brook and headed straight for Gros Morne. The park is pretty cool and we headed to the south side to Trout River Pond. After lunch we hiked the Tablelands which Ben obviously thought was very cool. "Come on Ben!" That night we camped at Lomond campground and swam in the fjord. Menu: hot dogs and beer.

Day 2: We left Lomond and went directly to Western Brook Pond which is the characteristic "fjord" used in all Gros Morne N.P. advertisements. We got there just in time to catch the boat for a 2 hr tour of the "fjord" which was quite impressive. Afterwards we took our leisurely time to get up to St. Barbe's for the ferry over to Labrador. It was 90 minutes of serious rocking in the ferry and trying to teach Ben to play euchre. After the first attempt, however, we settled for rummy 500 which Ben still is struggling with after nearly 5 weeks. There was a british birder on board and he pointed out all types of seabirds like puffins, kittiwakes and jaegers which was pretty cool. Labrador was amazingly beautiful in a desolate kind of way. And it was also full of black flies. We camped on the beach and woke to a dense dense fog . . .

Day 3: . . . and more black flies. Since there was nothing much to see we headed back to the ferry and being one of the first ones there were confident that we would get on shortly. However, having not made a reservation, the "green" line had to wait for 1.5 hrs as the "red" line grew longer and longer. We brought Keith's folding chair in and sat and did Sudoku puzzles. We got on 5 minutes before the ferry was scheduled to leave. After arriving back in sunny Newfoundland we drove up to L'Anse aux Meadows and had a great time playing with viking artifacts. This was allowed of course and we had a splendid chat with the 'vikings' that work there including drinking from his horn. After settling into the campground we drove down to St. Anthony's to look for whales. None found. We made the new Newfoundland camping specialty: Rugged chili and again beer.

Day 4: Long drive back to Corner Brook. We saw a moose along the way, not our first on this trip, but the first male. Ben was still pretty stoked to look at rocks in Gros Morne so we stopped to accommodate but pressed on soon after since Keith was making it clear that he needed to return to 'civilization.' So we did.


From David Weiskopf on Jul 18th, 2007

Dude amazing pictures, I never knew just how nice it was out east. It looks really amazing!