Loading Map...

Wild weekend in Amsterdam

Written on: Tuesday January 30th, 2007

A journal entry from: Amsterdam, Holland

So this was our first school-organized trip, but definitely just as exciting as all the rest. We left Mont Saint Aignan at 10:45pm in a large coach bus... so large in fact that we couldn't just drive down the hill to pick up all the French students in the city center, we would have to go all the way around Rouen and enter on the big highway. There were about 10 of us exchange students, but soon the bus was filled with rowdy French kids who for the most part had all been drinking up to that point. Needless to say, the first couple hours were very loud, but it did get better early into the morning even though I still couldn't sleep. We arrived in Amsterdam at around 7:30am (making it over a 9 hour bus ride), and again our bus couldn't make it through the narrow streets so we walked from the Heineken Brewery to our hostel, the Hans Brinker Hotel and dropped our luggage off. We basically started our day from here... we explored the city, went back the brewery for the Heineken Experience, and went saw a bit of the Red Light District. We passed out at about 8:00pm and called it a night from there (sad, I know) but the next day we went to the Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House Museum, and two walking tours. I enjoyed the city a lot even though it was very rainy and cold the entire time we were there. It was very different than the other cities I've visited in Europe because it was much smaller, which was really great for us traveling my foot. There were bikes everywhere! And the canals throughout the city were really nice along with all the other interesting Dutch Architecture. The Red Light district wasn't as bad as I had expected... once we got used to all the nearly-naked prostitutes behind their glass windows and the over-abundance of sex stores and 'coffeshops' we were fine! So at 10:45pm on Sunday night we headed back to France, thankfully the trip home was much quieter and I had a whole seat to myself! I didn't sleep again though... which was really too bad because I had a presentation at 9:00am the next day. We got home a lot earlier at 6:30am and I did get to sleep for an hour or so... but Monday was a very long day nonetheless.  


From Megan Lusk on Feb 2nd, 2007

everything looks so exciting! hope your doing great!

From Uncle Tom on Feb 6th, 2007

Wow, what an experience. The pictures are great as is the commentary. Keep well.