Loading Map...

First day in hospital

Written on: Tuesday June 12th, 2007

A journal entry from: Elective

Well today was the first day we went in to the hospital to actually work, and it started off interestingly! We were supposed to be getting a lift with the lady we stay with, but there was a strike on today, and so no vehicles were moving about in Kathmandu at all! She told us that the people take things very seriously and so even though she could have driven in, she said they would stone her car for breaking the strike!! So instead of driving, we had to wait for the hospital bus, which wouldn't get any trouble.

 We finally got to the hospital at about 9:45am, and went straight onto the wards to start rounds. I was shocked by the condition of the hospital! I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't that. The corridors are all very dark and wet, and there is a definite stench about the place. The hygiene is not the best, as some of the toilets do not flush, so I've decided to avoid drinking a lot in the morning as I can't really face using the loo there! The toilet in our flat is perfectly fine though, in case you were wondering! ;)

There are a few wards in the hospital - some are for those who can pay, others are for patients who are from families that would not be able to come up with any money, so they receive free treatment. There is a special bay for children with malnutrition, which is rife in Nepal. Many of the people do not fully understand the important components of a good diet (so we were told by the doctors) and so their children are not getting the nourishment they need. We saw 4 children at least, this morning who had a condition as a result of malnutrition. Very sad.

 On top of the standard wards, they have a NICU (neonatal ICU) and a PICU (paediatric ICU) for patients who are really sick. Interestingly, patients who have meningitis are not sent to these wards, but instead mingle with the other patients. I found this a little bit strange, but everything is different here. They also make sure they have done all the tests to confirm meningitis before they will start treating, as resources are lacking and they cannot afford to waste valuable drugs.

We only spent the morning in the hospital as the day finishes at 2 normally - score! We're both still feeling really tired though, so we headed back to have a nap and then came down to the internet cafe where I am writing from now - the net is really cheap, only 20 rupees an hour! 90 rupees works out at about 1 pound!

Oh and just in case you were wondering, as I haven't mentioned this up until now, we are 5 hours ahead of the UK here!

 Bye for now!



From Sophie on Jun 12th, 2007

Kim you're ,\making my entry look lazy!!

From Alana on Jun 12th, 2007

Oh how sad about the hospital :-( Quite scary too having meningitis cases mixed in with the main ward! Still it's a good experience to see what other hospitals are like. Hope you're still enjoying yourself, you're tempting me to go there for my elective next year. Take care

From Martyn on Jun 12th, 2007

Just think, Kids there could live of the Aero bars you polish off in 5 mins! Hope you feel bad!! P.S There is one waiting in the fridge for you when ya get back xxxxxxxx