Loading Map...

Serere Reserve Day 4

Written on: Wednesday December 26th, 2007

A journal entry from: Kevin and Julie's RTW

Location: Serere Private Reserve, Rurrenabaque, Bolivia

Author: Julie


It?s our last day at Serere and we woke up to a really early morning wake up call. We were to head out on the water and look for the slow moving Sloths. One of the creatures had been spotted the week before and we hoped to see one as a parting gift before we left. After another delicious breakfast, we boarded the dugout canoe one last time and headed out on the water. We rowed out across the lake to the tree where it was spotted the last time but no sighting. We then headed out to do the circumference of the lake with our fingers crossed. We saw more birds but no Sloths unfortunately. At the end of the lake area we frightened a caiman that ran across the water in front of our boat in fear to finally dive below the water. Almost arrived back to the lodge, I heard the sound of Spider monkeys which I recognized from the day before when they had encircled our cabin. We found them in trees near the shoreline and parked the boat to watch them for a quite a while. Like all previous times, they put on quite a show for us by jumping from scrawny branch to another and chasing each other playfully. I took it as a final good-bye from the rainforest as we would be heading in for lunch then walking back to the boat on the river to return to Rurre.

Our last lunch was quick and we said our good-byes to Sarah and Betty who had cooked all the food we had eaten in the past three days. Even though they were only 13 and 15 years old, they were excellent chefs in the kitchen. Next we said good-bye to Joel the master repairman who every night turned down our bed and put chocolates on our pillows and finally to our host Rosa Maria who has dedicated her life to preserving the rainforest in Bolivia.

Our good-byes said, we walked back along the trail we had taken 3 days earlier to the boat. The German couple who had arrived the day before were bundled up in their rain pants, rain jackets pulled up and scarves across their mouths for fear of mosquitoes. We on the other hand were getting quite blasť with our shirts untied and no DEET. They were the first out of the lodge and hoofed it quickly back to the boat. They couldn?t wait to get out of rainforest and back to civilisation. Also coming back with us was Bingo (so we informally named him), the abandoned dog, who was being adopted by the captain. We could tell he was going to good home and would be well taken care of. When he had arrived at the lodge two weeks earlier he was dehydrated and severely emaciated. He also had three screw worms; one on the side of his mouth and two in his back. Yesterday, I was able to squeeze and pull one out without him moving, flinching or whimpering. He completely trusted me. All I can say was that it was gross to see that white worm and green puss come out. The next day the swelling was gone and it looked like it was healing well.The workers had been feeding him and he was gaining weight but he couldn?t stay at the lodge. It wasn?t a place for a domesticated dog and he would never be loved like he deserved. If we were heading back home, we would have adopted him. He was so sweet and gentle.

The boat ride back to Rurrenabaque was uneventful and too quick for me. We were all sad that it had come to an end. At the Madidi Travel office, we left our rubber boots and white shirts for the next people who book. At 10$ a pair for the boots and 2$ for the shirts, we were okay with leaving them behind. Also, Rosa Maria gets volunteers to come and work for her sometimes and they could use them. We returned to the same hostel we had stayed at before and quickly showered and changed out of our smelly clothes. I couldn?t wait to put on something that was completely dry. Before going to bed, we dropped of our incredibly stinky laundry hoping it would be ready for 8 AM when we were expected at the airline office for our bus ride back to the airport.