Loading Map...

Saigon and Mekong Delta

Written on: Sunday December 11th, 2011

A journal entry from: South East Asia

Saigon started off awesome and ended in tears! 


Linzy and I got the night bus from Nha Trang to Saigon and arrived at 6am.  It was too early to check into our hotel so we went and had breaky and coffee at the market then chilled by the pool.  After that I went to the airport to pick up my dad - very exciting as we hadn't seen each other in nearly 2 1/2 years!!  We just did a little walk around town in the afternoon then Sally flew in and met us at the hotel - also very exciting!  In the evening we went for dinner on a boat on the river then checked out a few bars in town.


Today was amazing - we booked a private tour of the Mekong Delta.  The tour company picked us up at 8.30am and we drove down to the Mekong Delta and got on a boat to see the floating markets.  The markets are pretty much for the locals only as you have to buy in bulk and each boat selling something has their product hanging from a pole so customers know who they are approaching.  After that we went to an island and saw a bunch of cool stuff - bees and drank honey tea, sampled rice wine (ew) and Dad tried snake wine, had our photos taken with snakes (which I've decided I want one!), watched how coconut candy and other sweets are made, etc.  Then we went to a family's house for the most amazing lunch I have probably ever had.  We had fish rice paper rolls (which we got to roll ourselves), seafood crepes, chicken and rice soup, sticky rice dipped in sugar and peanuts as well as pomello for dessert.  Fantastic day!!


Tonight was going to be awesome... we had plans to go to the night market and then for some drinks.  We had a drink on the rooftop terrace of our hotel then headed into town and checked out the night market (nothing as amazing as Thailand or Siem Reap) and I had a crazy freak accident... I was turning around to look at something and coincidentally the sidewalk dipped into the gutter and I slipped and managed to impale my foot on one of the spikes guaring the gutter.  There was blood everywhere and some lovely locals brought me bottled water to clean the wound and tissues, but I had to go to the hospital.  A lovely local man drove Dad and I there and then went back to find Sally and Linzy for me after he explained to the doctors and nurses (who didn't really speak English) what happened.  They cleaned out the wound under Dad's careful supervision and he told them what antibiotics I could take.  However after the lycosene wore off I was (and still am) in a world of pain... I think the rest of my time in Saigon will be spent in the hotel room watching movies and taking demeral and antibiotics.


Tomorrow Dad, Sally and Linzy will do the war tunnels which I would love to see but unfortunately since I can't walk it's a no go.... then will try and find a western hospital to get my bandages changed and some more advice then we head to Miu Ne for the beach so I will be the cool person with a plastic bag on my food whilst on the beach!  Hahah.  Fingers crossed no infection... this is the most pain I have ever been in!